.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 18, 2005

 

The Handsome Outhouse Mystery

This past weekend, I put a Site Meter at the bottom of my blog - an idea I got from Prairie Girl. The idea is that you can get a feel for how many people are visiting how many of your pages for how long. For the always-insecure photographer/blogger in me, it really goes a long way to satisfying my curiosity about who would visit here and how do they find me.

Although the free version of Site Meter has limited statistics, it does tell you in detail things like the domain (e.g., pacbell.net,) the time of the visit, the visitor's time zone, the duration of the visit, and the referring URL.

This last item is especially interesting, although it's also created a mystery for me. Several visits from different domains seem to have been referred by a google search result link that points to the smaller of the two photos this blog post.

Is there suddenly a nationwide, or worldwide interest in good outhouse design?

If you're one of the visitors who came here through this link, could you please end my sleepless nights and solve the Handsome Outhouse mystery for me?



Typical Site Meter Detail Posted by Hello


Comments:
Good post Steve! I can explain a few things, but I cannot determine who actually performed the search. You have been "crawled" by Google for images. The "crawler" only looks for named images and you give yours a nice succinct title. And the crawler (both the US and Cda.) one has placed them in the "Google Images" bucket.

Check this link out: http://images.google.com/images?q=outhouse&svnum=50&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&start=120&sa=N

Your image is at the bottom of the page (at least in my setup) but due to the sheer magnitude of "outhouse" images (13,400 at the moment) it could move to the next page by the time you read this.

I have not bothered to name my images properly and therefore the crawler will ignore me -- a good thing or not, I am not sure.

And there you have it, or at least part of the mystery. The bigger part -- who's looking for images of outhouses, indeed remains a mystery.

Cheers,
Prairie Girl
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?