.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, November 15, 2004

 

When I'm Sixty-Four

At almost 55, I'm even more of a Beatles fan than I was in my teens. I'm always humming or singing one Beatles song or another, and I even find myself subconsciously inserting lyric fragments into my speech: "You could find better things to do ...", I'll start off saying to my son, lifting a line from I'll Be Back (1964.)

A few weeks ago, while humming When I'm Sixty-Four, I had a flashback to a photo essay by the late Art Kane in the September 20, 1968 of Life magazine. Art created his own photographic impressions of several Beatles songs - I remembered that he had photos for Lady Madonna, Elenor Rigby, and the song that fired up the old brain cell, When I'm Sixty-Four. In fact, through the magic of Google, here is the Elenor Rigby photo.

Thinking about those old Art Kane images (and even finding some of them on the Web) has motivated me to try making some song-title-inspried or lyric-inspired images of my own. So I've been turning this over in my mind as well as looking out for scenes an situations that might fit.

This past weekend, Sandy and I went to Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis to have a look at the annual art show there. Quiet Waters is a beautiful place, and we hadn't been there for years. Even though we were going to look at art, not to make any, I grabbed my camera bag just in case.

On the way to the pavilion that housed the exhibit, we passed one end of a long reflecting pool. At the far end, dressed in matching bright red jackets, was a sixty-four-ish couple who seemed to be enjoying each other as much as the beautiful autumn afternoon. It was too good to pass up, so I didn't. I switched to a long zoom so as not to disturb the couple and took several photos over a period of a few minutes. Here's the image that I think works best. Can you hear Paul singing? Are they laughing about their grandchildren - Vera, Chuck and Dave?
When I'm 64

Meanwhile, I'm still on the lookout for more title and lyric images. I'm thinking that St. Anne's, an old cemetary in Annapolis, might be good for an Elenor Rigby photo - maybe too obvious, but I've gotta start somewhere. Any ideas? I'm listening.

Help! I should have known better than to get involved in a project like this. Somebody stop me, please.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?