.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, August 09, 2004

 

Outsourcing Under Your Feet

Manhole Ripples
Here's something from my weekend trip to NYC that I forgot to mention. At one point on Saturday, as Ben and I were crossing a street, I looked down and noticed a manhole cover with "Made in India" cast into it.

I was shocked, shocked to see such a thing. I thought that New York City manhole covers were quintisentially American.

This would be a great campaign issue for Senator Kerry. I can even write the sound bite for him:

... and under the leadership of this administration, thousands of high-paying manhole cover foundry jobs have been outsourced to India ... we can do better... and Help Is On The Way!

Once I got home, I did a little research on the Internet, and found that it's not only the Big Apple that's outsourced its manhole covers. As this story shows, even in my own backyard, blue-collar Baltimore, the Queen City of the Pataspsco Drainage Area, has thousands of Indian manhole covers.

Go figure!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?