.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

 

Catching Up on My Thanksgiving Resolutions

Back around Thanksgiving, I mentioned that there were some things I had been thinking of photographing, including So believe it or not, I actually have done some of that. Herewith are some of the results:

My Son the HotDog
On the way up to Canada last month, we stopped at a deli-cum-gas station in Pennsylvania, and as I pulled up to park, I noticed this huge picture of a hotdog on the side of the building. I knew I had to photograph Ben against that wall, and after our bathroom breaks, he good-naturedly gave me this James Dean pose. I think my HotDog of a son did it with great relish, don't you?

This past Saturday afternoon, I did finally pay a visit to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. Well, only to the free part - there are a bunch of old steam and deisel locomotives and such adjacent to the parking lot. To see the really nice stuff you have to enter the museum and pay (14 bucks for an adult,) but that's for another day.
B&O Museum, Baltimore
In general, I wasn't too excited about the photos I took at B&O except for this one shot - almost the last photo I took. I was lurking around the outside of the museum building, a beautifully restored 1884 roundhouse. Frankly, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was looking to see if I could find a way to sneak into the roundhouse for free. It was about 1 hour before closing, and all I wanted to do was take a few photos of the magnificent roof from the inside.

I found one door that opened into a little maintenance alcove, still outside the wall of the roundhouse, but with a high window giving a good view to the inside of the roof. The late afternoon sun was streaming through the clerestory windows, dramatically lighting the radial beams of the roof (I'm a sucker when it comes to radial lines in an image - can't resist.) There were two paint cans on the ground, and standing on them, I could just reach the bottom pane of the window to take this photo - the brick wall behind me reflecting off of the glass.

Note to self: Make some time to visit the Museum another day, and make sure you're there an hour or so before sunset, so you can get photos of the roof with dramatic lighting from the inside. Oh, and don't forget to bring fourteen bucks!




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?