.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

 

Our Readers Write

I'm still amazed to get an email or comment to one of my blog posts. Last week, I actually got two pieces of feedback.

Thanks to Anonymous for this comment on my Focus on Balmer post last week:
Just FWIW, the original signguy (he of the "Hon" sign on 295) died from cancer awhile ago - check out several dan rodricks columns in the sun for details.

His son occasionally staples a "Hon" to the welcome sign but we've been without even that for awhile. I think even the staples have all rusted away so the remenants have disappeared as well - he only lives on in our memories.

Oddly enough, he stopped doing it when it was decided it was "politically incorrect". There was talk about putting up a sign flashing all the different ways the different parts of baltimore says "Hon" but of course THAT wase either to inclusive or not inclusive enough. And of course it would cost money, so
they gave up on it.
As you can see, I haven't been paying attention as I head Baltimore-bound on 295 North lately. On my next trip, I'll check out that sign.

Also, in response to my post, I Owe It To My Bro' , Charlotte P. writes:
I just read your latest blog. How interesting! I graduated from JHU as well with Master’s in Computer Science. So did Bill [Editor's note: Bill is Charlotte's husband]. In fact that’s where we met. I remember having fun in California when the class started. I didn’t want to miss anything so I sent my 8 month pregnant sister to the classroom to take notes for me. Bill told me later that he did remember seeing her there on the 1st day and thought she was crazy. When I finally got back from California a week later, I sat next to Bill by coincidence on my 1st day in the classroom. The rest is history.

8th Night

Eighth Day

Today is the last day of Hanukkah 5765, and although I didn't take this photo last night (it's from last year,) it's exactly what we saw last night as we blessed the candles. It's always gives me a good feeling to see the hanukkia fully lighted, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Ben and I, with the memory of The Jazz Singer fresh in our minds (he saw it for the first time last week!) couldn't help ourselves. Having been duly impressed with Neil Diamond's rendition of Kol Nidre in the film (Yom Kippur will never be the same,) we chanted the Hanukkah blessings with our best Neil Diamond impersonations.

Sir Laurence Olivier would have been proud.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?