.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 02, 2004

 
Meet 'n Greet...

This was my big day... talk about show-and-tell! The "Meet the Photographer" event was at Barnes & Noble from 4 to 6 PM. It wasn't exactly as if Dr. Phil had come to sign books, but it wasn't bad, either.

Ben & Stephanie at B&N Show

In this photo, you can see a Complete Stranger and friend Stephanie of Complete Stranger carefully studying some of my photos... OK, so the Complete Stranger is really my son Ben, whom I bribed with an extra cookie to pose for this shot.

For about the first 30 minutes, everyone that "met" me was either a family member or a friend. Actually, it was very gratifying to have them take the time to come to the event, and I appreciate all of them having made the effort. Note to self: be sure to do the same for friends whenever the occassion arises.

I did have about two dozen or so people come by to look at the photos during the rest of the time. I tried to be as charming as possible and a good host. The in-house Starbucks Cafe had supplied 60 cookies a large pot of coffee and ice tea (a $37.50 for me, well worth it.) As time went on, I actually resorted to walking around with the tray of cookies, offering them to anyone in the cafe, and, oh yes, mentioning the photos on exhibit. Would you like a brochure, too?

As it turns out, the local chapter of Amnesty International meets in the cafe at 5 PM on the first Sunday of the month, and they were seated at a table right next to the one with my sign and cookies. So I praised their work and offered them cookies and brochures, and some of them did take a look before they left. Very nice people, and you never know when you need them to write a letter on your behalf!

Well, the excitement's over for now, but the photos stay up for the rest of the month. We'll see if it was all worth the effort.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?