.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, April 15, 2004

 



Jumping Into the Blogosphere

Well, here I am, a 54-year-old Jewish-America almost-senior citizen, jumping into the Blogosphere.

I'm a database application developer, and I've been working in IT for 15 years, but Blogs...I don't know!

I'm also an enthusiastic photographer, and although I don't make my living from photography, I do make a few bucks from it. My son Ben and I are in the process of creating a photo website for me, and I thought it would be nice to have a Blog to go along with it. Once my website is up and running, I'll transfer this Blog to my site's server.

What else is there to know about me?... First and foremost, I've been happily married now for 24 years to a wonderful and amazing woman, and I have 2 children, now 21 and 17.

I was born in 1950, stateless, into a refugee family in the American-occupied zone of Germany. We immigrated to the United States aboard a troop ship just prior to my first birthday. I got off to a rocky start by catching measles on board the ship, so Mom and I had to stay on Ellis Island for 10 days. But ever since then, my adopted country has shed only blessings on this proud and grateful naturalized American.

My undergraduate training was as a mechanical engineer, and I worked as an engineer in the electric power industry for 18 years. I must admit, though, that I never felt entirely comfortable in this field. I had an opportunity to ease into the IT world at age 39, just following the completion of a nighttime masters degree program in computer science.

Within a few years, I finally found my niche in the working world as a database application programmer, and I've never looked back. For the record, I'm definitely a Microsoft sort of guy, working with Visual Basic, SQL Server, MS Access, ASP, and now .Net.

I'm not sure what the heck I'm going to be putting into this Blog, but I think it will include musings on

Meantime, please have a look at some of my photos!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?